- Spring dresses are definitely the item to have this season. Very much inspired by the 50's and early 60's, you can find vintage or new fashions right on the rack in every major clothing store. Look for little ruffles, flowing fabrics, big buttons and belts.
- White is everywhere. Be careful with this one as some complexions are not cut out for stark white. If you are nearing middle age, try using white in your accessories instead of brilliant white jackets or skirts. Everyone should be cautious about what we call Minnie Mouse shoes and please don't break out the white pants, skirts and shoes until after Memorial Day. I don't care what anyone says. Some rules are not meant to be broken.
- Chunky shoes and platform sandals are still the rage this season. Be careful when pairing with your 50's inspired dress or you will look like you came straight from a rummage sale and not the fashionable trendy shops. Of course some might say that is the trend too.
- Chunky necklaces are still in this season as well. Natural woods and brighter colors play a part in the spring continuation of this fall trend.
- A line and tulip skirts are all over the spring fashion scene. Watch the length and the belting. A line skirts are great camouflage for larger hips.
- Tops are flirty with ruffles, cinching under the bust, and belting or gathers at the waist. These looks are great with jeans, loose fitting trouser style pants, and skirts but can also be paired with a tailored jacket and skirt or pants for work to add a little femininity to your tailored work attire.
- Although many chiropractors and doctors may protest, the handbags are available in big and bigger. As always though there has to be balance between what you are wearing and the size and style of bag you are carrying.
Remember no matter what styles you choose, you should always make sure you have other pieces (we recommend three) already in your wardrobe with which to coordinate. Also, be cognizant of the styles and how they look on someone of your age. You can make yourself look like mutton dressed as lamb if you try to be too trendy or too flirty with your styles. Always be aware of shape and color and how it relates to your body. We will say it just this once in this article. Just because they make it in your size does not mean you should wear it. Now enjoy the spring weather and flowers and have fun accessorizing your wardrobe.
Indra A Books, author of this and many other lifestyle articles, is the owner and founder of ON THE GO 4 U, LLC, Personal Shoppers & Concierge Service in the Washington DC metropolitan area, providing life management services. In addition to its shopping and concierge services, ON THE GO 4 U also publishes a monthly e-zine and conducts workshops. Ms. Books is the Vice President for the International Concierge & Errand Association. For more information about the author and ON THE GO 4 U, please visit http://www.onthego4u.net